On the trail of Pediatric Leukemias from Mizoram



Hello, my name is Andrew Vanlallawma. I am currently an M.Phil student in Mizoram University. I am working in the field of Cancer Genomics and my work which is a pilot study on identifying the mutational background of pediatric leukemia patients in Mizoram.

During the start of my work, i planned for the mutational screening of five genes using Sanger Sequencing in the RAS/RTK pathway which are commonly found within the patients. Fortunately, on 11 August 2018, Dr Sridhar Sivasubbu and Dr. Vinod Scaria from CSIR-IGIB, New Delhi came to Mizoram for a CME course.
After interacting with us, they were interested to help us in our research. 

Most of the researches today in genomics employ the use of Massively Parallel Sequencing methods, so the opportunity to be introduced as well as getting hands on training from the best was a great privilege for me. Now I am becoming a beacon within my lab for introducing and teaching the technology which I learned from the best institute. Ultimately their generosity towards teaching the technology to me has spread and gone from not only a single student but the whole lab. Today, our lab is planning on having a workshop which will focus on Next Generation Sequencing technology which is solely the fruit of my visit twice to CSIR-IGIB (42 days and 21 days for the two visits). I also give my sincere thanks to SSB and VS lab members for not only teaching me about NGS and its Data Analysis, but also in giving me suggestions to my plan of work, critical interaction towards research and the help I received during my stay in CSIR-IGIB.

Comments